Thursday, December 23, 2010

Slow cooker red cabbage recipe

Maybe it's the colour but I can't help thinking of red cabbage as being extremely festive. Beside which, it goes so well with ham and, now I've seen the light (and the ease of cooking it in the slow cooker), we'll have a lot of that around this Christmas!

It's very easy in the slow cooker once you have a decent recipe and this seemed to hit the spot for us, even if it has some slightly unusual ingredients. It's another cadge from Nigella - I'm obviously in a Nigella phase - and is supposed to be Viennese style. I'm happy to believe her.

Ingredients for 6:

1 large red cabbage, shredded not too finely
1 large onion, sliced
2tbsp brown sugar
2 eating apples (Nigella uses 1 large cooking apple)
3 tbsp red wine or cider vinegar
200 ml beef stock (made with a cube is fine)


Directions:

Yup. Dump it all in. Walk away. This is why we love our slow cookers. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 4-6.

Verdict:

Really, really good. It had that nice sweet/sour thing going on without it being too tart (my apples were quite sweet) and without losing the flavour of the cabbage. I'm sure it would be fine with vegetable stock if the beef seemed odd to you but I liked it; I thought it added depth. If you like the idea, Nigella suggest stirring in some crème fraiche or sour cream at the end but I just didn't see it somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment