Saturday, October 30, 2010

Slow cooker Overnight Porridge / Oatmeal recipe

I feel a real sense of guilt about this post as I meant to create an overnight porridge for my friend Jessica (Hi Jess!). What I ended up with was totally yummy but I remembered as I ate it that Jess hates cooked fruit. (Sorry Jess). I have it in mind to keep working on this because I love having a cooked breakfast waiting for me when I go downstairs - hey, it's like having staff! - but for now, for those of you who like a fruity breakfast, this may be worth a try. I ought to mention that, for good or for ill, it doesn't taste much like normal porridge. For good or for ill.











Ingredients for 4:

500ml / 2 cups milk
50 g / 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup/ 75 g rolled oats
3 small apples, roughly chopped
50g / 1/4 cup raisins
50 g/ 1/4 cup dried cranberries (any dried fruit is fine)

Directions:

Dump it all in. Give it a stir. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours.

Verdict:

This is a really satisfying breakfast. My toddler liked it and so did my husband who hates normal porridge. It has a dark golden colour which seems weird at first but I think it's the apples and brown sugar that give it that colour. It was quite sweet and I might tone that down next time but it was also creamy. It was pretty thick as porridges go which I didn't mind but you might like it sloppier. The apple stays in chunks which is nice and the spices are very autumnal. We've made this several times now. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for thinking of me! That does sound tasty; I might even cope with the apples, I need to find something to do with all my bramleys. I wonder if it would work without them - might try this in the smaller crock once Skyrider is done playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure! I'm trying out a pumpkin pie version this week (I know!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It was Tate & Lyle maple flavour in plastic bottle. I don't really recommend it, I was trying to use it up as it's not as good as Canadian one on pancakes. It's basically golden syrup with maple flavouring. Perhaps you can have a link with my blog, have not come up any other Italian recipes, the one I just did is Irish/Italian, especially if you use the celery and carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yes, turns out Tate and Lyle have a maple flavoured golden syrup. WOuld be great with this.


    CC I will try and get a link up very soon!

    ReplyDelete