Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Slow cooker Moroccan Carrots recipe

This is a recipe I've been using for years as a useful buffet table staple for Middle-Eastern spreads served as a room-temperature salad. It goes well with a couscous and chickpeas and tagines. It's a great BBQ accompaniment. It's very, very easy.

This time, instead of adding a dressing after cooking the salad, we roasted the carrots in the slow cooker with the spices and had them hot with quinoa and my friend Ali's gorgeous Indian spinach recipe (it's keeping me awake at night trying to figure out how to translate that to the slow cooker). It worked really well but the carrots were ready sooner than expected so it kind of helped I'd started preparing dinner late!

Ingredients for 4 (as a side dish):

6-8 large carrots, scraped and cut into 3
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp lime juice (I used bottled)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
bunch fresh parsley as garnish (optional)

Directions:

Put the carrots into your slow cooker and add the oil and spices. Toss to combine and make sure the carrots are evenly coated with the mixture. Cook on High for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (I'd just check the thickest carrot for tenderness after about 2 hours) or on Low for 5-7 hours. Chop over some fresh parsley if you have any about. I did but it was out in a very wet garden so we enjoyed them without.

Verdict:

I love it when an old favourite works in the slow-cooker. These spices are warm flavours and worked well with the slightly caramelised flavour of the roast carrots. I could even have added a little more spice, or maybe some orangey flavours. Yummy!

This also travels easily in a tupperware and I submitted it to the "pot-luck recipes" category over on the Life as Mom recipe swap here: http://lifeasmom.com/2010/11/potluck-foods-other-dishes-that-travel-well-ultimate-recipe-swap.html/comment-page-1#comment-41401 Go enjoy seeing how other people create food that travels well..

No comments:

Post a Comment