Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Good basic slow cooker chilli recipe

Everyone needs a good basic chili recipe up their sleeve and this might just be it. I didn't even brown the meat so it took all of 5 minutes to put together.

This is adapted from the "Firehouse" chili in the Friends cook book, the one piece of TV merchandising I probably own and, surprisingly, one of my most useful cook books ever (I should know - my collection has hit well over 100 at various times!)

Ingredients for 5-6 servings:

4 medium onions, chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds/750g beef mince (I used frozen)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
500 ml/1 pint beef stock, made with 2 cubes
3 tbsp chili powder of your preferred brand and heat
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 splash Worcestershire sauce
1 tin (400 g/14 oz) kidney beans

Directions:

Brown the beef if you like or have time.
Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-12.
Serve with rice or cornbread.

Verdict:

Finally, I have found my basic chili recipe. This had a good, deep flavour, even without browning the beef and we really enjoyed it. I'd love to fancy-schmancy it up with sour cream, cheddar and all the trimmings, but it was great just straight with tortillas, which is what we happened to have. I'll definitely use this for crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment