Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Leek and white wine risotto recipe - the slow-cooker way!

I'm very proud of this recipe because I made it up all on my own, using other recipes as a base for quantities etc. It's not exactly dump and go but it's worth the 15 minutes of work and still leaves you hands free if you're having friends over. I'll definitely be making other risottos in the slow-cooker. It so works!

The lovely Alex, possibly the fussiest eater I know,
eating up my risotto. Result!
Ingredients for 4:

Dab of butter
2tbsp olive oil
3 medium size leeks, washed and sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100ml white wine
400g arborio rice
1300 ml mushroom or chicken stock, made with 2 cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1 sprig tarragon

Method:

Fry the leeks in the olive oil and the dab of butter for about 5 minutes till starting to become translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Add the rice to the frying pan and stir in well. Tip in the white wine and then the stock and allow the rice to absorb the liquid. Tip everything into the slow cooker pot and add the rest of the seasonings and the tarragon.  Cook on High for 2 hours, checking for doneness towards the end.

Verdict:

Make it! I cooked this for a special vegetarian friend who came to dinner and she loved it. She's lived in Italy and said it was slightly mushier than a proper stirred risotto but so worth it for the convenience and lack of arm ache.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I'll put the rice on my grocery list. Thank you:-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure. I'm sorry I forgot to translate this particular one into "American" but you can also find it here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/main-courses/leek-and-white-wine-risotto-e28093-the-slow-cooker-way/ where it IS translated into volumes.
    You can usually get mushroom stock cubes in Italian delis here. I don't know how easy it is Stateside.

    ReplyDelete