Saturday, January 8, 2011

Slow cooker chocolate tapioca pudding recipe

I feel bad when I can't offer you a photo but it's usually a very good sign. It meant we were too busy eating to remember to take a pic. That can only be a recommendation, right? I put this tapioca recipe together from several sources. It was the first time I'd cooked it and probably the first time I'd eaten tapioca in about thirty years but I had some left over in the cupboard having used it as a pie thickener and thought I'd give it a bash. I was so glad I did. It's easy, it's comforting and your kids will think you're the best Mummy ever (until they find out how much you snaffled during the evening once they'd gone to bed!).

Ingredients for 6:

4 cups / 1 litre milk - I used semi-skimmed
2/3 cup / 150 g white or caster sugar
1/2 cup / 75 g small pearl tapioca (the only kind they sell in my supermarket)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and cook on High for 3 1/2 - 4 Hours or on Low for 7-8. Stir well at the end as your mixture will probably be quite lumpy. The lumps should smooth out. Serve hot or cold. Both were good!

Verdict:

Our lodger put this perfectly - "It has just the right level of chocolatiness." I was inclined to agree. For so little effort, this was a proper traditional nursery pudding and I'll happily make it again, both with and without the chocolate. There's something very comforting about a milk pudding. We only ever eat this kind of thing after a soup meal (we ate this after the delectable ribollita ) but then enjoy the luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment